Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Fare thee well, Blogger.

I've been resisting the migration away from Blogger for a while. There are a number of things I like about Blogger, but the number of things I don't like is getting larger all the time.

So, if you'd like to join me for further adventures in baby hoarding and snarking about perfectly nice things (and I hope you will), please change your subscription link to

(And don't worry, Anonymous. You don't need to be logged in to comment. I'm all about the needs of my secret people.)


  1. :( I dislike wordpress. I am trying to comment on your most recent post there, and it just keeps routing me to a blank screen, whether I'm logged in or not. So, since I can't find alternative contact info for you, here's what I was trying to post over there:

    I've now flown twice with Gwen, once at 6/7 weeks, and then this past weekend, at 4.5 months. The first was trans-Atlantic, but she was young enough all she did was sleep, wake up occasionally to eat, and then sleep again. This last trip was a bit more harrying. Our flight was at 9:50pm, and the airport was about 2 hours away (more, given that there was a train malfunction and so we got about half an hour away and found no trains were going to the airport. Hello, taxi!), which means we got on the road just about her bed time, and by the time we were actually waiting to board she was highly overtired, poor thing. On the way back, too, we had an evening flight (not quite so late, but still post bedtime), and she was fussy and crying.

    Luckily, once we were in the air, she was out like a light. The white noise of the engine worked both there and back to soothe her. The nursing thing is all about the swallowing, to help them release the pressure build up in their ears. Gwen has never been particularly bothered by take-off or landing, though I've always kept a pacifier on hand in case she seemed like she wanted it.

    I also too worried a lot this trip (and our previous one at the beginning of March, where we took the ferry instead of flying but it still involved a lot of disruption of routine) that we'd have a tired and disrupted and fractious baby the entire time, but miraculously, we didn't. We were staying in scout cabins so there were 8 adults (one of whom snored) in the room in addition to her, all sleeping on squeaky creaky beds, and she was sharing a bed with me. Amazingly, she still slept 8-10 hours at night (at home she does 10-11.5, so this was pretty good considering), and when she woke up she woke up chatty rather than crying. We tried to keep the same basic rhythm as we had at home, she'd eat every 2-3 hours and then be ready for a nap 45 min. to 1.5 hours after waking up, and even though sometimes we'd take her back to the room and nap in bed with her, and sometimes we'd just bundle her up in the carseat, we got as good of naps as we do at home.

    Good luck! I hope your experiences will be like ours, much less stressful than we expected. I just found out this last weekend that I'm going to be doing a lot of extra traveling in the next 9 months, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that she stays as good a traveler!

  2. I can never comment on wordpress as well (Wordpress seems to only be friendly to the blogger... not to the readers or commentors) so I'll wish you ALL the luck and happiness on Blogger in the meantime!

  3. I will in no way comment on hubpages as well (Wordpress generally seems to just be friendly towards the tumblr... to never the readers or perhaps commentors) consequently I'll wish everybody the particular fortune as well as pleasure on Blogger for the time being!Billig WOW Gold

    buy rs gold